About the Emerging Scholars Program
The Emerging Scholars Program provides research experiences for low-income students their first year at KU and supports their overall transition to college. Students are paid $10/hr to work for a faculty member as a research assistant and to participate in professional development sessions. Students are required to have a Federal Work Study award to be eligible for the program, as their wages are paid in part through this award. Emerging Scholars work in departments from all across campus, from history to engineering to the arts. No prior research experience is required, just an interest in research and learning something new!
Expectations for Emerging Scholars:
Emerging Scholars will:
- Work 4-7 hour per week as a research assistant for a professor or research staff member for the fall and spring semesters (August 2019 through May 2020). All positions are entry level and do not require previous research experience.
- Attend paid monthly one-on-one meetings with a peer mentor who was in Emerging Scholars their first year at KU. This peer mentor will guide you as you develop as a researcher and as you adjust to life in college.
- Attend paid monthly professional development sessions through the Center for Undergraduate Research.
2019-2020 Emerging Scholars will also have the benefit of free participation in the OPTIONS program. This five-day residential program (August 17th-21st) is designed to assist incoming freshmen as they transition from high school to KU and has no additional costs associated with an early move-in on August 17th (meals included). If accepted as an Emerging Scholar, our office will email you further informaton about participation in OPTIONS. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-864-5733 if you have any questions about this benefit of the program.
Eligibility to Apply:
- First year student (freshman or transfer student). Students apply for this program the summer before they start at KU.
- Accept a $2,000 Federal Work-Study (FWS) Award for 2019-2020: If you're not sure whether you've accepted a FWS award, you can check via Enroll & Pay. Once you log in, navigate to the Student Center. There you will find a Finances section. You can click the "View Financial Aid" link to see whether your financial aid package includes a Federal Work-Study award. If you would like to add Federal Work-Study to your financial aid package, please email Stephanie Covington at email@example.com to find out if you are eligible. If eligible, you will need to fill out a form to request a Federal Work-Study award.